By Irene Hayton
These bite-size treats are low in sugar and contain healthy fats, fiber and protein. The cocoa powder will help to satisfy chocolate cravings while providing antioxidants. For information on the health benefits of: nuts and seeds see the Health Tip for April 2003; and coconut oil see the November 2003 Health Tip.
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) virgin coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) unpasteurized honey
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60 ml) almond butter
- ½ cup (125 ml) finely ground pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup (125 ml) unsweetened shredded coconut
- ⅛ teaspoon (.5 ml) fine unprocessed sea salt
Combine coconut oil, cocoa powder, honey, vanilla and almond butter; mix well. Stir in the remaining ingredients until well-blended. Shape/roll into ¾ inch balls. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge. Makes about 25 balls.