By Irene Hayton
It’s important to start your day with a healthy breakfast; however, many people say that they don’t have time in the morning. So now there’s no excuse. The ingredients for this recipe can be put into a slow cooker (also known as a crock pot) with very little effort and in as little as 15 minutes before you go to bed at night. You’ll wake up to a hearty, healthy and creamy oatmeal that tastes as good as it smells.
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) coconut oil or butter
- 1 cup (250 ml) large flake (steel cut) oats
- 3 cups (750 ml) filtered water
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 ml) cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) unprocessed sea salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped walnuts (optional)
Use the coconut oil or butter to coat the inside of the slow cooker. Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir well. Cover and cook on the low setting for 6 to 7 hours. Serve as is or with your favourite type of milk. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- Be sure to use large flake (steel cut) oats; don’t substitute quick oats or the consistency will be like mush.
- Any leftovers can be refrigerated and quickly reheated on the stove in a saucepan with a bit of your favourite type of milk.
- See this month’s Health Tip for info about slow cookers.