Mushrooms keep coming up in conversations lately. Everyone seems to love them!
What’s not to love, really?
In addition to being delicious, mushrooms are rich in:
• Vitamin D
• Beta-glucans (a type of fibre which has been studied for its role in improving insulin resistance and blood cholesterol levels)
• Choline (helps with sleep, muscle movement, learning and memory)
Lemon Lentil Mushroom Mix
• 2 cups of water
• ½ cup of green lentils
• 4 tspgrapeseed oil
• 350 g of crimini and portobello mushrooms, sliced medium thickness
• 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
• ¼ tsp of dried thyme
• 1 tbsp of olive oil
• 2 tbsp of parsley, chopped roughly
• ¾ cup of arugula
What to do:
1. Bring lentils in water to a boil prior to reducing to a simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes or until soft/cooked. Drain and set aside to cool.
2. Heat 2 tsp of grapeseed oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan. Add ½ the mushrooms and leave for 3 minutes until golden brown. Stir and continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Repeat step 2 leaving the first 1/ of the mushrooms in the pan.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low, adding the garlic and thyme. Cook until fragrant.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Toss lentils, mushroom and garlic together. Add the lemon juice and the extra virgin olive oil.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Add parsley and arugula just prior to serving.