“I love my baby but why do I suddenly feel sluggish and tired?”
After giving birth, it is not uncommon for new mothers to experience postpartum depression. For the naturopathic treatment of it, special care is required. The baby’s health is as important as the mother’s during this difficult time. Our pre- and post-delivery treatments help to minimize the negative effects and provide quick relief from your symptoms. Our treatments have no side effects so they are safe for you and your baby.
- Postpartum depression symptoms can begin as soon as two weeks after birth.
- It can take up to two months before postpartum depression can be diagnosed.
- Medical doctors typically prescribe antidepressants for any new mother who complains about low mood following childbirth.
- Canada ranks 3rd in SSRI use. This equates to almost one out of every 60 Canadians taking an antidepressant.
- Long-term studies on the effects of taking antidepressants typically focus solely on the side effects of the medication and not the lasting effects on the patient.
When it comes to treating postpartum depression we give new mothers a complete intake assessment. We undertake testing to identify the underlying factors unique to each case. We also examine your lifestyle including your partner’s involvement and responsibility in your healing process. Pregnancy can add a lot of stress on the mother’s body and well-being. Levels of minerals such as Iron, Magnesium, and Zinc have been shown to be reduced following delivery. These minerals directly impact moods. Often times, energy and sleep changes contribute to the symptoms and the underlying hormonal changes that are responsible for postpartum depression.