By Irene Hayton
This dish doesn’t take long to put together and it’s good hot, warm, or cold. It can be eaten for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, or as a snack. If you don’t like sweet red pepper, use thin slices of tomato to put on the top.
- 2 cups (500 ml) broccoli florets and stems
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup (50 ml) low-fat milk or rice milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) grated part-skim Mozzarella cheese or soy cheese
- ¼ cup (50 ml) grated carrot
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) chopped green onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- ½ teaspoon (2 ml) oregano
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) sea salt
- 1 small sweet red pepper, cut in strips
Cut the broccoli into small bite-sized pieces and steam for 3 minutes or until tender-crisp. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs and egg whites. Stir in the milk, cheese, carrot, green onion, garlic, oregano, and sea salt. Add the cooled broccoli and mix well. Pour the mixture into a lightly buttered 9 inch (23 cm) pie plate and arrange the red pepper strips in a pinwheel shape on top. Bake at 350º F (180º C) for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the eggs are set. (You can put it under the broiler for a minute or two if the eggs aren’t set on top.) Makes 2 to 4 servings.