As early as the fetal stage, we are being exposed to heavy metals. Iron, cobalt, copper, manganese and zinc are considered healthy metals however; elevated levels of these elements can also become toxic.
The elements regarded as toxic to our bodies are namely: Mercury, tin, lead, cadmium, arsenic, nickel, uranium, thorium, thallium, aluminum, platinum, bismuth, antimony, beryllium & tungsten.
Whence on board, our bodies do not have the means to eliminate these metal and instead stores them in our brain, liver, kidneys, connective tissue, bones, joints, etc.
Common ways we are exposed to these elements are:
- The air we breathe (pollution)
- Car batteries; rechargeable batteries
- Water (i.e.; there’s fluoride in almost all bottled water)
- Mercury fillings (amalgam)
- Cosmetics (Northshore Naturopathic carries an natural cosmetic line, including skin rejuvenation products)
- From our mothers (while a fetus)
- Breast milk (while nursing)
- Fish and shellfish
- Industrial work environments
- Stainless steel pots, etc.
- And many more!
Though scientifically proven, heavy metal toxicity (HMT) is largely unrecognized as the root cause of many physical and mental health (BRAIN) ailments. Instead, more often than not, the symptoms are treated instead of the root cause.
Here’s a partial (yet long) list of the signs & symptoms of HMT:
- Self-consciousness; paranoia; panic attacks; heightened sense of fear; anxiety; nervousness, etc.
- Allergies/sensitivities to food, perfumes, tobacco smoke, paint fumes /chemical odors
- Parasites; digestive problems; sulfur, vitamin & mineral deficiencies
- Mood swings; irritability; fatigue; depression; anger
- Skin problems; rashes; dark circles under eyes
- Brain fog; forgetfulness; loss of memory; headaches; unsteady gait
- Difficulty losing weight; loss of appetite
- Insomnia; night sweats
- Low body temp; cold hand and feet
- Sensitive teeth and receding gums; black spots on gums; metal taste in mouth; coating on tongue
- Chronic body, muscle/ joint pain; muscle tremors; twitching; tingling in arms and legs
- Compromised immune system; frequent colds and flus
- Intolerance to alcohol, medications /vitamins
When the root of the problem (heavy metal toxicity) goes untreated these symptoms can develop into severe, debilitating, life-long illnesses and/or death.
Here’s a list of some conditions which can be directly related to HMT:
- Learning disabilities; autism; low IQ; ADD; ADHD; dyslexia; other learning disabilities/challenges
- Alzheimer’s; Parkinson’s; ringing in ears
- Behavior problems; criminal activity; self-stimulating & self-injurious behaviour
- Birth defects
- Liver & kidney disease; heart and stroke attacks; angina;
- Thyroid problems
- Juvenal & adult onset diabetes
- Crohn’s; Colitis; Irritable bowel syndrome; leaky gut and other digestive issues
- Fibromyalgia; neuromuscular disorders; chronic fatigue syndrome; Autoimmune disease; paralysis; arthritis; Multiple sclerosis
- Acrophobia; claustrophobia; psychosis; schizophrenia; mania, etc.
- Dermatitis; eczema; psoriasis and other skin conditions
The good news is that there are solutions to removing these toxic metals from our bodies:
- Schedule an appointment with your naturopathic doctor for an intake heath assessment.
- To rule-out or diagnose for HMT a scientific test will be performed through the collection of either your hair or urine.
- When the results come in from the laboratory, should there be an elevation of one or more heavy metals, the appropriate protocol (oral or IV therapy) will be implemented according to your unique needs.
One way to educate yourself about HMT is by reading Dr. Jonn Matsen’s book, “EATING ALIVE II” to gain a better understanding for its severity and what to do about it. We “all” have had varying levels of exposure to these toxic metals. If you or someone you care about exhibits any/some of the symptoms and/or conditions above, it’s worth ruling out Heavy Metal Toxicity!