By Irene Hayton
- 14 ounce (398 ml) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) unprocessed sea salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons (45 to 60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 3 to 4 tablespoons (45 to 60 ml) water
Combine the chickpeas, avocado, tahini, garlic, cumin, sea salt, 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of the lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of the water in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape the mixture from the sides, if necessary. If the mixture is too dry, add more water, ½ tablespoon (7 ml) at a time, while processing. Taste
and adjust the seasonings: add the rest of the lemon juice, and more salt,
cumin, and tahini, if desired.
Serve with: warm sprouted whole-grain tortillas; on toasted yeast-free rye bread; in a sandwich with sliced tomatoes and broccoli sprouts; or with combination of steamed vegetables (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) and raw vegetables (cucumber slices, snap peas, jicama slices, grape or cherry tomatoes, etc.).