By Irene Hayton
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) filtered water
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) baking soda
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) rice vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon (½ to 1 ml) cayenne (optional)
- 1 pound (500 g) lean beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup (50 ml) filtered water
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 4 cups (1 l) broccoli pieces
- half a red, yellow, and/or orange sweet bell pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 30 ml) filtered water
Mix together the marinade ingredients, add the beef and stir well. Leave to marinate while preparing the remaining ingredients.
Mix together the sauce ingredients and set aside.
Remove the peel from the broccoli stems; cut broccoli into bite-size pieces. Cut the bell pepper into thin strips. Peel the carrot and cut diagonally into thin slices.
Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-low heat. Add the coconut oil, beef, and marinade and brown the beef on all sides. Add the broccoli, bell pepper, carrot, and 1 tablespoon of the water. Cover and cook for 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding the other tablespoon of water if needed. Add the sauce and stir until thickened. Serve over brown rice. Makes 4 servings.